I feel I must explain

My blog title. It comes from the book "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis.

When the children have come into the world of Narnia and met the kindly Mr. and Mrs. Beaver (quite literally talking beavers, for those who haven't read the books), they are told about the great and powerful lion called Aslan, the true king of Narnia. Susan, the oldest girl, is quite afraid of lions, and proceeds to ask "Is he safe?"

To this, the wise Mr. Beaver replies "He's a lion. Of course he's not safe. But he's good."

You may or may not know that the Chronicles of Narnia are a more than obvious alagory for the life and some of the teachings of Jesus. This line is both literary genius and profound theological truth. (I find that most anything C.S. Lewis says is, also).

Following Jesus may not, and indeed will not be, the safe choice in life. But the goodness of God will, in the end, be more than enough reward for the choice. So my title is both a philisophical announcement to my readers of my beliefs, as well as a reminder for myself.

God promises that I will not always be safe, but that it will always work toward good.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year

It's been over a year (almost) since my last blog. As I sit here, munching on a semi-successful batch of Nutella cookies (thank you pinterest) and vaguely listening to "A Baby Story" on TLC in the background, I am trying to decide why, exactly, it's been so long. I thought for a brief moment that I simply lacked inspiration, but immediately tossed that idea as one of the sillier thoughts to have crossed my mind recently. I've had MORE than enough inspriation. Loads. Craptons (a very scientific unit of measurement, I know).
I would like to think, though, now that I ponder it all, that I have delayed sharing the last year with the world because I know myself well enough to know that I needed to really process and come to terms with everything that has occured. It could possibly be that I'm a big chicken and I didn't want to admit my shortcomings, however. Just maybe.

For those of you who know me, You know that I can be, well, to put it politely, long winded. So, in the interest of transperancy AND brevity, here is a reader's digest update on the last year of my life.

- I moved to Glendora and promplty began and then proceeded to end and begin and end and begin and pretend to move on from and then relapse and then actually come to a state of calm about the single most unhealthy relationship that I have EVER had in my entire life. EVER EVER EVER. I was told by a professional, Christian therapist that smoking pot was a healthier behavior than continuing to try and see this person. While there is a book I could write on the possible (probable) personality disorder issues that this person is or isn't dealing with, I'll just leave it (him) at that (for now. possible future blog to come). Through this process, I managed to experience the highest peaks of joy and intimacy and laughter coupled with the lowest trenches of rejection and loss and depression, all in about 5 months or so. It took professional therapy and the love and support of many people near and far with immense amounts of patience for me and my insanity to finally be able to move on and deal with all of the emotions involved.

- I spent hopefully my last full year at school as an undergrad, and met some amazing professors and had some really great experiences and my current school plan is to go to grad school somewhere in the central valley and be a professional family therapist.

- I had some amazing roomates who taught me lots of things, including but not limited to: shake out your bath towels before you dry off because you never know when a pregnant spider is lurking in it, making tents in the living room with bedsheets in harder but more epic in your 20's, passive aggression is so NEVER okay with me, and I can be kind of OCD about cleaning. So sue me.(had to include Baker in her own photo because she wasn't at drama awards last year)


- I was involved in a show that required some major review and buttressing of my ASL skills, and I am now reasonably fluent in my signing, and I couldn't be prouder. Also, I met one of the most amazing girls I've ever encountered who is a big help and a guide to the deaf community, not to mention sassy and smart and killer beautiful and funny and everything awesome.
- I tried eHarmony. I actually kind of liked the experience, and I appreciated the prompt customer service that I got when I was having any kind of (always self-induced) tech issues. I met one person and went on a few dates with him, and he was sweet and kind and a great guy, but ultimately not for me. I am glad I had the experience, though, and would recommend it to other people interested in trying online dating.

- My little bro is 18, and it's unbelievable. He's tall and hairy and all man-shaped and still generally a child, but little by little is turning into a pretty cool guy. I'm very proud of him.

- I moved about 80 times this summer, with the end result being I have new roomates in pasadena that I send rent to and will actually be co-habitating with come the border between August and September. They are the real life will and grace and I love them both and can't wait for them to be big movie/theatre stars and be able to say that I knew them way back when.


- I'm moved back from LA for the summer and taking a math class from a young, reasonably good looking man who is mormon and boring (exclusive traits, I assure you) and kinda sort of tried to hit on me until he figured out I had a boyfriend. So mormon and boring, but also honorable.

Other than that, it's been a normal series of comedies and errors. There will be more to come, and opinions to share, but I won't take a year to post again. PROMISE :D

2 comments:

  1. I loved the randomness of this post, namely, the bullet points. I'm a list-maker myself. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update on the math teacher: he's married. Strike the honorable part. EWWW

    ReplyDelete